A tradesperson's answers to your questions can give you a good sense of whether you could work with him or her. Here's a list of questions to help you work out which tradesperson is best for you.
- How long have you been in business?
- Have you completed projects like mine recently?
- Can you provide a list of references?
- To which professional associations do you belong?
- Will you be using subcontractors on this project? If so, are your subcontractors licensed to work in these areas (such as plumbing, roofing, etc.)?
- Are you insured and covered by worker's compensation?
- Do you give written warranties?
- Will my project require a permit?
You should also ask the tradesperson for a list of references and ask each referee important questions such as:
- Would you recommend this service professional?
- Would you use this service professional again?
- Were you happy with the project?
- Was the job completed on time?
- Did the service professional keep you informed of the status of the project?
- Were there any unexpected expenses?
- Were workers punctual?
- Did workers clean up after finishing the job?